Not too shabby for a dictatorship eh….?
SINGAPORE: The Republic is the city with the best living quality-of-living standards in Asia, according to the Mercer 2015 Quality of Living Rankings released on Wednesday (Mar 4).
In a media release, global consulting firm Mercer said that Singapore was also ranked 26th globally, right ahead of San Francisco. Coming in first in the world was Vienna in Austria. Zurich in Switzerland, Auckland in New Zealand, and Munich in Germany were placed second, third, and fourth places respectively, Mercer said. European cities as a whole “dominate the top of the ranking along with major cities in Australia and New Zealand”, it added.
Mercer said it evaluated living conditions in more than 440 cities worldwide according to ten categories of factors. The categories are:
- Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.)
- Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services)
- Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom)
- Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)
- Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools)
- Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc)
- Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc)
- Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)
- Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services)
- Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)